Every year, there are a handful of under-the-radar high school football players who emerge as top prospects in their class. These players may not have received as much attention or hype as some of their peers, but they have the potential to make a big impact at the next level. The class of 2024 in Texas High School football is no exception, and there are several players who are on the rise and should be on the radar of college coaches. Here are eight players who we believe are top defensive back sleeper prospects in the class of 2024: ( Not in order or rank)
Top Sleepers Defensive Backs
1. CJ Jones, Rockwall-Heath: Jones is a versatile athlete who plays for Rockwall-Heath. He has great speed and quickness and shows great ball skills. Jones has the potential to be a dynamic playmaker at the next level.
2. Kennard McGuire, George Ranch: McGuire is a powerful hitter who can make knock-out tackles and make plays on ball carriers in the open field. He has good size and speed, and he’s also reliable. McGuire has the potential to be a lockdown defender at the next level.
3. Dedaunte Scott, Kennedale: Scott is a physical cornerback who plays with great intensity and aggressiveness. He’s a hard hitter who can also drop back into coverage and make plays in the passing game. Scott has the potential to be a dominant corner at the next level.
4. Caleb Flowers, Denison: Flowers is a talented cornerback who has the ability to make plays with his arm and his legs. He’s a good decision-maker who can read defenses and make accurate throws. Flowers has the potential to be a dual-threat quarterback at the next level.
5. Jhase McMillan, Tompkins: McMillan is a quick and shifty as ab athlete and who can make defenders miss in the open field. He makes good plays on the ball on defense and can come up with stops.
6. Bailey Fletcher, SA Reagan: Fletcher is a big and physical corner who well against the passing game and also in the running game. Fletcher has the potential to be a valuable weapon in the passing game at the next level.
7. Denim Collins, Westlake: Collins is a rangy safety who has great instincts and ball skills. He’s a hard hitter who can also cover a lot of ground in the secondary. Collins has the potential to be a lockdown safety at the next level.
8. Austin Anderson, Needville: Anderson is a versatile athlete and defensive back for Needville. He has good speed and quickness, and he dominates on the defensive side of the ball. Anderson has the potential to be a dynamic playmaker at the next level.
9. TJ Jones, Klein Oak: Jones is a physical hybrid safety /linebacker who plays with great intensity and aggressiveness. He’s a hard hitter who can also drop back into coverage and make plays in the passing game. Jones has the potential to be dominant at the next level. His recruitment has been on the rise as of late with offers coming in.
These nine players may not be household names just yet, but they have the potential to make a big impact at the next level. Here are a few more names to know.
More Top Sleepers Defensive Backs
6-3 / 170
5-10 / 175
5-9 / 165
(New Caney, Texas)
5-11 / 180
5-9 / 160
6-2 / 173
5-11 / 165
6-1 / 160
5-10 / 170
(Mount Pleasant, Texas)
6-0 / 160
5-10 / 160
5-10 / 165
Fort Bend Christian Academy
(Sugar Land, Texas)
6-1 / 175